Sunday, January 25, 2009

Looking Forward to Spring



I know we just celebrated the winter solstice, but I'm ready for spring.  The daylight hours are already increasing a bit more each day.  I can't wait to take a hike through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) in March to observe the great blue heron couples getting their nests ready for their new arrivals.  With a wingspan of almost six feet, you'd be surprised how graceful these birds are.

During peak nest-building days, park guides take groups on small walking tours to the optimum viewing area.  The guides will even set up scopes so that the children can get a good view of the herons too.  It's fun for the whole family, and you don't even notice that you're burning calories.

The CVNP also has a nesting pair of bald eagles.  They are not so easy to spot.  Find park program & bald eagle info at: www.nps.gov/cuva/bald-eagles.htm

1 comment:

  1. My WW leader is the fellow that is called to go out and rescue eagles and other bird creatures. I love watching them from afar, but have to admit they scare me when they are up close and personal ... like parakeets.

    ReplyDelete