Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Remember 89.1?

My husband John came to this great state of Ohio before me, so I can't take the credit for discovering The Summit or it's predecessor, 89.1 WAPS.  I had never heard anything like this station.  No commercials, not your run of the mill top 40 constantly being rehashed.  This was fresh, unique, as they said themselves "Dare to be Different".  The only downfall back then, very limited hours on the air.  Aside from that, I was hooked. 
 Does anyone remember The Friday Night Block Party on 89.1?  The host would put together blocks of 3 or 4 songs related by artist or subject, often suggested by listeners.  I remember a cool block of James songs that included a couple concert recordings.  It was sweet!  Sometimes you had to wait for the last song of the block to figure out the connection between the songs.  Another block I recall started out with They Might be Giants' "The Guitar", then a rocked out version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (sorry I don't know who did that, maybe Buckwheat Zydeco).  The block was completed by REM's "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight".  Cool stuff there.  Anyone have an 89.1 memory to share?  

No comments:

Post a Comment